Thursday, November 29, 2007

Checklist for Early Sobriety

Ok, you've made the decision to get sober. Beside the obvious of not drinking, there are many things to think about to help in early recovery. Below, I've listed a checklist that may help with some ideas. Feel free to add any additional items.

  • Find a recovery program to help in the earliest days. Whatever program you follow, just allowing yourself to learn about being sober and surrounding yourself with sober people can be a big help.
  • Create a resource list. Write out a list of people who you can call when you need someone to talk to, support or just a diversion from your old ways.
  • Look for a good therapist or counselor if you feel it will help.
  • Browse the bookstore and stock up on some good sober books for inspiration.
  • Do an emotional inventory and record how you are feeling each day.
  • Find a new hobby, activity or anything that will keep you out of the bar scene, you'll be amazed at how many things there are to do besides sit at a bar!
  • Find another person in recovery and buddy up with them for support.
  • Journal, journal, journal. I cannot stress how much this helps in early sobriety. I used to write fifteen pages a day, just pouring things out.
  • Grab a paintbrush and be creative. Painting out your emotions is refreshing.
  • Forgive yourself for the past. It's gone, over and you can only move forward at this point.
  • Find some IM buddies from a sober site or group and utilize them as resources (Mine is Yahoo: kjpartstudio)
  • Write down all the things you can do now that you are sober. Pick one each week and do it.
  • Eat well, exercise and watch your sugar during the earliest part of sobriety.
  • Finally, be gentle on yourself. It's a long process, one that is constantly evolving and changing. It's worth it.

2 comments:

Rex said...

Great list!

Anonymous said...

Great list! Can you recommend any good sober reads? I've immersed myself in self-help books and they are really helpful. Maybe I should go back and re-read Augusten Burroughs' brilliant book "Dry"!!!

I'm stuggling with the sugar thing, for sure.

Just wanted to add that Yoga and Meditation have helped me sooooo much. I just treated myself to a six week meditation course in Wappingers that was and is terrific.

Also downloading relaxation meditations onto my IPOD helps. I listen to it whenever I need it, which is quite frequently! Even listened during a root canal last week!

And talk, talk, talk.....and journal, journal, journal.

The Last Glass

People have requested that I post this again, I wrote this piece published many times over the years.. I started with twenty-four. Twent...