Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Some Holiday Shortcuts


As the holiday season comes in a whirlwind, I just wanted to share some tips, shortcuts and ramblings, particularly regarding alcohol, over this time. If you have an additional tips, please feel free to comment.



  • Be thankful you won't have to worry about being pulled over. It's primetime for checkpoints! I usually volunteer to drive to one holiday party and have even been known to throw a tip cup out for laughs (and dollars!).

  • I keep a small list of the five reasons why I am sober in my wallet. Anytime I am faced with a "Sobriety Crisis", I pull it out and read through it.
  • Keep a list of your closest resources handy; friends, relatives, sponsors, etc. Just in case you need to make a phone call

  • A beverage in a wine glass or, even better, a martini glass, makes life a little easier when attending holiday parties and actually leads to less questions.

  • Waking up with no hangover during the holidays means more time to actually enjoy them.

  • For every cash bar you have to attend, put money in a jar that you would have spent and treat yourself to an extra gift.

  • If the family scene is too much, or you generally have angst around the holidays, volunteering during this time is a great way to appreciate where you are.

  • If you are nervous about telling people you are sober, just say "I'm not drinking this evening" Most people don't really care.

  • Stash non-alcoholic beverages in your trunk. I never leave home without Diet Coke.

  • Take a breather, often.

  • And last, allow yourself an out. If you need to leave, just do it. It's ultimately about your well being.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am fortunate that I live in an area where AA sponsors Alcathons during Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's. This provides 48-hour round the clock meetings, food, and fellowship at one of the AA centers. Since I am new to sobriety this sounds like a godsend if one needs to escape all the holiday revelry!!

The Last Glass

People have requested that I post this again, I wrote this piece published many times over the years.. I started with twenty-four. Twent...