Sunday, February 20, 2011

Letting Go.

"She let go. Without a thought or a word, she let go.


She let go of the fear. She let go of the judgments. She let go of the confluence of opinions swarming around her head. She let go of the committee of indecision within her. She let go of all the 'right' reasons. Wholly and completely, without hesitation or worry, she just let go.

She didn't ask anyone for advice. She didn't read a book on how to let go... She didn't search the scriptures. She just let go. She let go of all of the memories that held her back. She let go of all of the anxiety that kept her from moving forward. She let go of the planning and all of the calculations about how to do it just right.

She didn't promise to let go. She didn't journal about it. She didn't write the projected date in her Day-Timer. She made no public announcement and put no ad in the paper. She didn't check the weather report or read her daily horoscope. She just let go.

She didn't analyze whether she should let go. She didn't call her friends to discuss the matter. She didn't do a five-step Spiritual Mind Treatment. She didn't call the prayer line. She didn't utter one word. She just let go.

No one was around when it happened. There was no applause or congratulations. No one thanked her or praised her. No one noticed a thing. Like a leaf falling from a tree, she just let go.

There was no effort. There was no struggle. It wasn't good and it wasn't bad. It was what it was, and it is just that.
In the space of letting go, she let it all be. A small smile came over her face. A light breeze blew through her. And the sun and the moon shone forevermore."

- Safire Rose

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

when people ask me how I got sober I often tell them "I just let Go" referring to this very poem, thanks for posting , it's exactly what happened for me!!!!

Anonymous said...

thank you for posting this :)
i am new here... in sobriety land.
please write more, please write again.
peace, love & serenity,

frances
Rincon, Puertorico

Sober in 100 Days said...

In letting go there is a certain freedom that you are no longer attached and/or tethered to something. Letting go of alcohol, and being free of the daily anxiety of finding booze and drinking it is such a release!

Business IQ said...

Amazing!

restoreustosanity said...

I just wanted to say your blog is awesome! I love it. Drunkeness sucks and sobriety rocks. I have recently just started a blog and would love for you to visit sometime. Di of Ventura, CA
restoreustosanity.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I jus wanted to say keep up wat ur doin. this was a great poem. I relate in so many ways.
While i was in rehab for 6 mnths getting sober my fiance was on the outs still getting high and od'd an dies 5 days before i came home. I didnt only have to deal with coming home and keeping my sobriety but i also had to deal with all that also. I felt so alone, and helpless, like i should have been there to help him get sober at his rock bottom but i wasnt and it has really put a tole on me. I like to make it seem to ppl that im okay and im doin fine with his death but in all reality i havent even ever dealt with it. Tonight before i read ur poem i was having one of those nights where ur jus depressed and crying thinking about everything that has happened and remembering the good and the bad that me an him had, i was jus all kinds of tore up. This poem is an inspiration. After reading this btw crying the whole time, i felt so much better and it made me come to my senses that he's gone and gone forever and no matter how much i held things in, it only was making things worse. And in all honesty i really do feel like i let go of what ive been holding onto for a yr now. keep up these poems bc im a perfect example of how something simple as a poem could impact someone life so much.
I jus wanna say thank you because of this poem i finally have let it all out and "let it go".
RIP-Jesse L Wilson <3
-Tosha

The Last Glass

People have requested that I post this again, I wrote this piece published many times over the years.. I started with twenty-four. Twent...